NaNoWriMo Day #5

So, today is the fifth day of NaNoWriMo.  I have over 13k words thus far.  So, I'm going to insert into this post a section from the story.  I don't mind feedback or constructive criticism.  With that said, I must insert the legal disclaimers here:  This work is a work of fiction.  Any similarity to real individuals and places is purely coincidental.

  (c) Unpublished Work.   2018 SC Hutchinson.  All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written consent of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.  For permission requests, please remit to SC Hutchinson at author.sc.hutchinson@gmail.com. 

"Friends, family, and honored guests, let us try to remember that the only ones who suffer from death are the ones left behind.  But I implore you to recall the good times shared with Shawn and focus on all that he gave you. Those precious memories will see you through the darkest of days as we all pick up from this life.”  The preacher ended the service with the song, Precious Memories by Dolly Parton.  

Hmph, I pouted internally.  Shawn preferred Reba, not Dolly.  

I don’t know why, but I smiled at the thought that if Shawn were here, he’d correct their little faux pas.  Don’t play that Dolly shit, he’d say.  Put me on some Reba, bitches!

I stayed until they lowered his casket into the ground.  My parents were kind enough to wait for me by their car. Shawn’s parents left to go home to receive their guests as it was customary for the family and friends of the deceased in our town to gather at the deceased person’s home for food and fellowship.  

I stared at his casket, boring holes into it with my gaze.  Like some crazy person, I began speaking aloud.

“Why, Shawn?  Why didn’t you run for help? Don’t you know that you’re no good to me dead?  What about our plans to run off to Europe and visit the nude beaches when we turn eighty years old just to fuck with some of the younger generation?”

It was as if I could almost hear him respond.  Go anyway.  I’ll be there in spirit.

“How the hell are you supposed to threaten and intimidate my future husband now?”

I’ll be a poltergeist, beesh.  Don’t you know anything? I almost laughed at this, but I was far too angry to let his ass win now.  

“You weren’t supposed to die!”  I stomped my foot as if it was going to change the circumstances.  Thunder rolled in the distance.

I just stood there, unable to move and in silence as tears continued down my face, painting trails of heartache that would forever burn into my soul, changing who I would from this day forward.  In that coffin not only rested my best friend, but also the every fragment of my soul.


---I hope you have enjoyed it.  I'm looking to publish sometime in spring of 2019. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Day 7

NaNoWriMo Day #9

NaNoWriMo Day #2